Re: shoulder harnesses

To: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: shoulder harnesses
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:07:14 PST8PDT
Kyle asks:
> In the parcel area of my '69, I see a nice bit bolt on each side in the
> wheel arch.  Looks like a hookup for a shoulder harness.

Yes, factory shoulder harnesses hooked in here.

There was discussion long ago about whether this mounting scheme
actually increased the likelihood of injury. The theory is that with the
mounting point BELOW the shoulder, when you are thrown forward
in a collision the belt will push DOWN on your body, compressing
your spine. Ouch!

One possible solution is if the car has a rollbar, to weld a loop on
it and route the belt through it. In the back of my mind I wonder what
the results would be if the car flipped and the rollbar twisted.. But
I suppose odds are you'll ram a brick wall before you flip the car..

-- John