Re: shoulder harnesses

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shoulder harnesses
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:03:10 -0500
>I've got both types of belts. The original shoulder strap in my '70 that
>goes to the wheel arch, keeps slipping off my shoulder. I'm thinking about
>attaching a loop on the seatback to hold it in place. The thing I hate
>about the original, is that sometimes the belt drops outside the door. So
>when you're looking to put the belt on, ya gotta open the door again.
>
>Now I've got this '66 with reclining belts. The shoulder part is bolted
>high on the rollbar. That works great! But the belt recliner hardware is
>bolted at the low side of the rollbar, and it gets hung up because it's
>cramped against the side panels. Sometimes I have to yank the belt a dozen
>times before it frees up. I'll fix this the next time I take the rollbar
>off (such a hassle!)
>
>Despite the problems with the recliners, I prefer them over the original
>belts.
>I don't know where the PO got the recliners, but they say Nissan/Datsun.
>Maybe
>from a Z?
>
>Fred - So.SF
>BADROC

A popular swap into the 510's comes from the late 70's 200sx. It has an
arm with a loop in it that (in the sx and the 510) bolts to the top of
the "B" pillar and hangs down far enough to keep the shoulder belt off of
your neck. Another popular donor is the mid 70's to mid 80's trucks. Of
course, these are only options if you have somewhere to attach the upper
anchor point.

Both styles are the three point inertial reel type. I'm not sure what
could be rigged up that would allow a snugged lap belt while also
offering the inertia reel of the shoulder belt to allow movement while
belted in.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)