Re: $25,000 Roadster: Why not?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: $25,000 Roadster: Why not?
From: Mark van der Hoek <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 08:39:21 -0600

Ben Zech wrote:

> I agree with Dennis, let's get the value of these cars up. We spend a
> fortune restoring them, why shouldn't we be able to get our money back if
> and when we sell the car.

I doubt if very many (read: almost NONE) people who restore a classic
get ALL of their money back wehn they sell it.   Unless it is a VERY
rare car and was originally a high priced car, it just isn't going to
happen.  A rare Bugatti or Ferrari  might do it, but these are in the
province of the high roller to START with.  That just isn't going to
happen with our Roadsters.  Mr. Newly Rich is NOT going to buy a Datsun
for $25 or 30 thousand so he can brag to his friends about his rare
car.  The name "Datsun" just doesn't have the snob appeal.  (GOOD!)

Mark Dent wrote:

>>>if all of us thought a new Toyota Camry XLE would only
be worth $10,000, Toyota would not lower it for us. It does not BECOME a
$10,000 car it is still a $20,000 car<<<

Not true.  THe key word there is "all".  If ALL of America decided it
was only worth 10,000, and refused to pay more, Toyota dealers would
eventually take the loss just to get them off the lot.   But that isn't
going to happen because the PERCEPTION is that is a $20,000 car.  If 10
or 20 or 30 percent of potential Camry buyers decide it is only worth
$10,000, and the rest are willing to pay 20, it will stay at 20.   Our
Roadsters are  not worth $25,000 because there are not enough people
willing to pay $25,000.  Yes, one or two here an there may go for high
dollars, but that won't have much effect on the price of Roadsters in
general, UNLESS everyone starts asking more.  And it will happen over
time, not instantly.

And that will bring up the price of parts, as well.  It's a  two edged
sword.

"Be careful what you ask for - you might get it."

Mark van der Hoek
Salt Lake City