fot

Re: FOT NewsFlash: Announcing SVRA TR/MG Challenge

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, rem9@cornell.edu, emanteno@ibm.net, jsnook@wcnet.org,
Subject: Re: FOT NewsFlash: Announcing SVRA TR/MG Challenge
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:20:34 EST
Amici:

Inviting modern MGs and TRIUMPHs to a vintage race might be a mistake.
Philosophically, running old race cars prepared to modern standards in vintage
races is unthinkable.  It goes against what we are supposed to stand for.  It
should not happen.

Having said that there is no question that we are seeing more and more modern
race preparation and modern methods and modern tricks in vintage racing.  The
impact has been largely two fold.  On the one hand we are seeing and enjoying
faster and more exciting racing.  I do not see this as a problem, but at some
point IT JUST AIN'T VINTAGE.  On the other we are losing the REALLY GREAT
vintage cars.  They do not come out any more.  That is the down side, and the
price we pay.  Those of us who raced vintage in the 1980s saw 'stuff' that
just does not enter vintage racing events any more.

At the 1992 SVRA Mid-Ohio TRIUMPH event Bob Tullius chose not to drive.  He
did that on purpose, and not by accident.  It was decided to have John Kelly
drive the Group 44 TR8 as the pace car, but then after the field received the
green flag, he went back out onto the track, chased, caught, and passed the
field (or most of it anyway).  At the time, I thought that was a dumb idea.  I
spoke against it.  But in fact it was not a problem for me, and I am unaware
of any problems for others.

I have the same concerns about inviting a half dozen or more 'modern race
cars' to a vintage race.  What's the point?  While I am sure I would still
participate, I really do not favor the idea.  Why would we propose it.  Are we
vintage racers, or what?

Bill Dentinger