fot

Re: Gas No gas MIG

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas No gas MIG
From: "Keptin Komrade Dr. BobWrench III esq." <bownes@web9.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:55:12 -0500
I have one of the little, cheap Harbor Freight type 120V MIG welders and
one of the HUGE Miller MIG 240 single phase welders.

Like knives, each is different and has its place.

The small one I can toss in the back of the car and haul across town to
weld the stair rail at a friends house or keep in the trailer to put
something together at the track.

The big one sits in the garage and gives me the fine control I like for
serious projects and the current for welding thick work.

The small one slips now and then, both will weld Al and steel with
tri-gon gas from the local welding gas suppler.

The Miller is at least 15 years old, was $800 from a garage that was
going out of business. A month later I saw a like new one with a TIG
attachment, helium cooler and all the goodies go for $1300. I can buy
any part I need for it from the local welding shop.

The little one was $150 brand new. I can't find parts for it anywhere.

If I had to give one up, it would be the small one. But it is a close call.

240 three phase in the garage is the next project. The 13" lathe I got
last spring needs it.

Bob