fot

Re: [Fot] SLOT CAR RACING SYSTEM

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SLOT CAR RACING SYSTEM
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:07:16 -0600
Very odd - who knew that so many Fot'ers were into slot cars too?  I
HEARTILY recommend you check out this site where numerous FAQ's (Frequently
Asked Questions) about home slot car racing are presented.
http://www.slotcargarage.com/faq.htm

We have a shop here in town with a couple of nice tracks and a few locals
get together regularly to race.  The most popular class seems to be the
NASCAR 1/24 stuff.  They do run a "Mini" class that uses the smaller 1/32
scale cars - all with Mini Cooper bodies.  Kind of a "Spec Racer Mini"
program.  My Mini is currently running a VW Bug body, because we ran out of
Mini bodies.  They laugh.  I don't care... ;-)  We run thin magnets on the
bottom of the chassis to help the cars stick.  As long as the electrical
conductors on the track are ferrous, we get some good downforce.

>From what I hear the Scalextric sets are the way to go for a "New" home
set-up.  However, I have all Revell 1/32 scale "vintage" track left over
from my childhood and from eBay - all seem to be imprinted 1964 through
1966.  (The magnets work on my Revell track, as well.)  Riggen track is
still being made and identical in shape and size and uses the same
electrical connections, but is black instead of gray.  I have been watching
eBay lately because I'm planning to sell off some of my Revell track.
Revell stuff still sells well, as the track is pretty sturdy, has simple
"Plug-In" electrical connections, and has nice "spin out aprons" that can be
attached to the edges of the curves to give you some drifting room.  This
track and the aprons are CONSTANTLY available on eBay at reasonable prices.
Scalextric stuff seems to also be very available.

I use Parma "Womp-Womp" cars and Parma "economy" controllers with a 25 ohm
rating and Revell plugs on my home track.  I use a Parma "Pro" controller on
the commercial track to which I have added an electrical gizmo
(potentiometer?) so that I can adjust my braking force.  There are some
track systems to stay away from; Eldon, Strombecker and Artin to name a few.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE