fot

Re: [Fot] SLOT CAR RACING SYSTEM

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] SLOT CAR RACING SYSTEM
From: Cofrog@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:02:23 EST
Gadzooks!  Never imagined you as a slot car fanatic.  You MAY  remember a
black Morgan +4 Supersport driven by Al Strom in the mid to late '60s  in Cal
Club.  Was way cool, had Sutton and Phlug on the hood, hood  strap and 72 spoke
wires.  It ran C/P.   Number 96??  Al was  a large guy who also drove an MGA to
the races and ran it along with the  Mowog.

Al eventually put a rod thru the block during one of the six hour enduros  at
Riverside.  He offered to sell it to me for $1500 but I was going into  the
Air Force and had to pass.  What a deal it would have been.  Al  himself
shortly went to Thailand and stored the car at a friends.  Word is  that the
friend
eventually parted it out.  I believe +4 SS Morgans are  upward from about $60K
now.

Anyway I built a 1/24 slot car model of it.  Amazing that there was a  Morgan
clear plastic body on the market back then.  Nothing fancy, just a  inline
off the shelf chassis but was fun to having folks at the track wondering  what
it was.

Back in the early '70s when slot cars were still popular one of my fellow
students in the Geology Dept. at Cal State LA built and raced the things for $
for a slot car company.  The cars he made and raced against were something  to
see.

Dan Forgey