Re: Fw: spoilers

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, dwarner@electrorent.com
Subject: Re: Fw: spoilers
From: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:28:49 -0500
hi dan, i took a walk out to my car to get my scta rulebook and noticed all
thes cars with air gaps between the trunklid and spoiler in the parking lot
- ford escort, pontiac bonneville and grand am, volkswagen jetta,
mitsubishi eclipse, nissan maxima, acura integra, dodge colt, i could keep
going but i think you get my point. it is safe to assume that all these
cars have production "wings" according to the scta rules ? . my apologies
that i dont know you better but i would assume you play an active part in
the scta rules, so i'm probably "shooting myself in the foot" based on the
2000 rules have yet to be determined and will quite possibly change because
of this dicussion, but i guess i might as well die trying to prove the
legality of the spoiler on our vehicle. section IV 26 h) states a couple of
things. first, it states that "when the spoiler is laid flat" - i assume
that this means it can be adjusted for "angle of attack", which would
probably require some gap unless a cheesy piano hinge setup or similar is
used.  it also states that "plates are permitted to fill in horizontal
spoiler/body gap." so right there the scta acknowledged in writing that a
gap may exist right in the spoiler definition. we just chose not to fill
the gap on our spoiler - it says "permitted" , not required. and as you
mentioned your interpretation of "a single aerodynamic surface" is
different from ours. i guess it gets philisophical how many surfaces are on
a flat sheet of metal?, teardropped shaped? , egg shaped?, spherical? -
well, at least we can still run the spoiler at the drags if the rules
change. by the way, i'm darrell's brother doug in cased you are confused

regards-
doug @ black radon engineering