Re: Tires

To: Beth Butters <bbutters@dmi.net>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:55:10 -0700
Thanks for the airplane tire info.......something to chew on.
As for the tire wear I believe you are right on as to the loading & unloading
of the IRS. I have simulated the rear lift by putting the car on a lift and
moving it up to the height I believe it runs "at speed". If you use the stock
suspension & Strut rods & mounts it will travel over 2 degrees. If the camber
goes over center, the car spins, so this is a critical thing.  I got the car to
go straight thru trial & error, tweaking the alignment after each pass until I
was happy with it. Last year at SpeedWeek (98) somebody (I think it was Bill
Ward) said "yeah, maybe it goes straight at 210, but how do you know it will at
220?" To make a long story short, that comment got me thinking about handling
at future speeds. Didn't get the changes made for this SpeedWeek, but am doing
it now.  By using stronger brackets, heavy duty adjusting cams, and using
thicker strut rods, I have the camber change down to 1/2 degree.
Much better, but if this car was ever to see some serious speed, I would have
to put in a solid rear end. My goal for now is to put the C/GT record up a
couple of notches and then move on to something else.
Ed