Re: Aerodynamics

To: wspotter@jps.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aerodynamics
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:13:25 EST
In a message dated 12/16/1999 7:28:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wspotter@jps.net writes:

<< Bill,
 It takes big cubic inches, a very careful set up, great driving and lots of
 exotic fuel to make these bricks perform like a car with a low coeffiecent
 of drag.  K. C. Leggitt did go 282 in one in C/BFR in 1990 however and that
 was a memorable day.  It seems like his one way time was around 300 so they
 can be made to go very, very fast.  I still like the Varney-Walsh Cusack
 roadster for sheer Bonneville type noise.  When he shut off at the five
 mile, people on the starting line could hear the roaring stop.  That grabs
 you right in the pit!  Talk about the sounds of Bonneville!
 Wes

Group,
    I was at the three-mile marker with my video camera when K.C.Leggitt made
that pass in 1990. He was heading south on the return leg. Using only the
short course, he took about 45 seconds from the time I heard him pull away
from the push-truck til he was opening the chute in front of me at 280+,
making only one shift. With the early morning sound effects off the
surrounding hills, it's one of my favorite tapes, along with the sound of
Charley Markley in the little DeSoto powered Hiboy 32 fuel roadster making a
225 mph pass early one morning in the 80's.
    I was also sitting suited up and in my car awaiting its maiden pass at El
Mirage a couple of months ago when the Leggitt "C" Fuel Blown Lakester made
its record breaking 312 pass.
                                Ardun Doug in CA