Re: Aerodynamics

To: edvs@idt.net
Subject: Re: Aerodynamics
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:18:07 -0800
Ed,
True the car is a 4WD drive, the first 4WD drive roadster I believe,
built very strong in the drive train.
.
The team spent many years before they really went fast. You make a good
point about, the extra drive axle does eat HP. I'm sure that there are
those that grumble about not being able to build them anymore, but
safety was the reason for abandoning the 4WD, Bob Noice had a
spectacular crash a few years back. A front axle failure was suspected,
he had had previous breakage in that area. He was using constant
velocity drive axles which evidently were not able to handle the
delivered HP.

Deed's car did do its number on gasoline, which makes it the fastest
gasoline powered roadster. I'm not sure that it makes any difference
what fuel you use, its the HP that makes it go. Maybe they would have
gone faster with a single drive axle.

Tom