Re: Exhaust exits

To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust exits
From: Finishline Coatings <lona@finishlinecoatings.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 10:04:56 -0800
Hi Dan:
Good to hear from you.  Want to thank you again for your enthusiasm and generous
compliments  about our car when you certified it at Bonneville and Muroc.
About your header coatings...All of the silver header coatings-no matter which
company
does them, Jet Hot, HPC, Poly dyne, Swain or us- Finishline Coatings- will go
away at
about 1250 degrees. Our ceramic metallic coating is certified by NASA for
turbine jet
engines just like HPC. etc.
First the coating will dull out.  At 1400-1450 degrees it will start to break
up and come
off.  That's because the ceramic has so much aluminum powder in it that the
extreme heat
is causing the aluminum to deteriorate.
We have developed an under base for this problem, but it is only good for
another couple
100 degrees. It will keep the coating from actually coming off, but will still
gray out.
One of the things that we try to do is educate our customers about the best
coatings for
their particular application.  We are far from being the biggest company, but
we do want
to do the best quality of work period!!
For your application, we recommend our Black Satin finish.. It is the highest
thermal
barrier of any coatings available. and we have tested it at over 2200 degrees
without
failure.  Remember that alcohol motors generally don't run as hot of exhaust
temp. as gas
motors.  Turbo charged motors build tremendous heat in the exhaust system under
a load.
The one thing about the silver coatings is that it is a very good rust
inhibitor, so in
applications where the exhaust temp do not exceed the 1300 degree range, it is
a good
coating to use on Land Speed cars.  We put a special base coat  under our Black
Satin
coating and have found it to be a good rust resistant coating also.
Thanks for your inquiry, Dan.  Hope to see you this June in Muroc.

Russ Meeks
Finishline Coatings