RE: Exhaust exits

To: "'Beth Butters'" <bbutters@dmi.net>,
Subject: RE: Exhaust exits
From: Beth Butters <bbutters@dmi.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:21:25 -0800
          Well I've been thinking about this and thought his  Tom's figuring
should be put into perspective.  First of all Tom is an aeronautical engineer,
the 411 streamliner  model was developed in a wind tunnel and I do believe the
Burkland's  have about as good a handle on what works and what doesn't.  Anyway
I assume his 800 H.P. was figured at 450mph, so if you cut that in half to
225mph we are talking 200H.P. needed to overcome the exhaust  coming out the
side. Then  he  is talking 2 Donovan's  so for  us single engine guys the  drag
cost is 100h.p., then those are  what 1400 HP supercharged  motors, so  for
700HP we could assume the drag loss  to exiting out the side of the car to be
50HP. Angle the pipes toward the rear 45  degrees and maybe we are only talking
25 HP . A livable loss but still a waist of power that could mean 2 or 3 mph.
This is all just extrapolation  and could just as easily be wrong as right.
Kvach in N. Idaho where you can't tell we are living in a different century.