Rules

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rules
From: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:32:00 -0800
Hi Team,
Well, I have read all the rulebook comments and I'm really going to put my
foot in it now.
I have a basic problem with the rule book.

The problem that I have is that it is designed to give the inspector too
much latitude in interpretation. Further, changes that are made to it do
not tend to clarify or definitize areas that cause problems during inspection.

As a result (I think), for three inspections in a row, I get complained to
about things that aren't even in the rule book and on top of that some
inspectors who wouldn't design a streamliner that way I did try to
influence future changes or additions to be made the way they currently do
things in another association (type of racing). Interpretations include
disapproval (verbally) of: Halon in the cockpit; steel rings around lug
bolts for steel wheels; warning about my helmet which is much stronger than
many that are allowed to run, etc. In most of this, no notes were placed in
the log book! And no changes were made to the "book". The exception was
Oxygen breathing systems. That was put in the book. Never mind that
addition of oxygen to the drivers body at a density altitude of 6 to 8
thousand feet makes perfect medical sense.

I do not want to complain and complain and not do something....so.....

 I would like to join in the rules making process and participate in
clarifying every section of the "book" to make it easier for the inspector
to do his/her job. And somewhere along the way make it possible for a car
owner/builder to have a fighting chance of making it through inspection at
a Bonneville meet without unnecessary heartburn. Necessary heartburn caused
by not meeting the rules, as written (not just as interpreted) is just fine.

I guess that the door panel discussion just made me flip!

Dan, can I help somehow?

Skip in central Texas, (where the heat may have finally gotten to me).
I'm trying to be productive here!