Re: Rules

To: dhaller@techline.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:35:42 EST
In a message dated 01/19/2000 8:09:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dhaller@techline.com writes:

<< Hey Skip,
 Glad your cozy and warm down there, it ain't up here. Anyhow, looking at the
 rule book I kinda thought it was easy for a rookie to follow and not to
 intense like other organizations like nascar, nhra and so on. It looks to be
 written to leave the door open for inovation with a strong emphasis on
 safety which is a good thing. In short, I'm pretty content with how it
 stands and hope to many modifications that cost us more money aren't in the
 wind,
 Dave Haller #93

Group,
    I agree with Dave. Having just completed and competed for the first time
with my Modofied Roadster, I found the help given by the Roadster Committee
very helpful and concise. Russ Eyres was a big help to me.
    The "name-of-the-game" is innovation with Land Speed Racing. I feel that
if one follows the general guidelines in the SCTA Rulebook, submits
"grey-area" questions to the appropriate committee, and keeps a log of all
as a broad guide as well as a source of where the limits are.
    I would hate to see the rulebook get to where it's a blueprint of what a
car should look like. We've all seen what that did to NASCAR and NHRA.
    My feeling is that if the rules don't specifically prohibit a certain
innovation, get a reading on it from the appropriate committee.
    When SCTA went to the "Big-Top" Tech inspection (as opposed to individual
Tech people inspecting the cars at the pit sites) a few years ago, I had some
misgivings about multiple inspectors "ganging-up" on a car owner. I had seen
enough of the "now this isn't in the book, but you ought to
change______________" to make me a little leery. When I finally experienced
the new procedures in 1999, including having a logbook for every car, I was
pleasantly surprised. It's FAR BETTER than the old method.
    If there's a question about door paneling, upholstery, streamlining, or
whatever, submit it to the appropriate committee and keep a record of the
response. Dan Warner has been a tremendous asset to this group with the time
he spends responding to the various questions related to his job within SCTA
/ BNI.
                            Ardun Doug in CA
                            # 1313 XXF / FMR