cut off switch

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: cut off switch
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:26:33 -0800
Hey gang

Last year at the world finals Jack Costello had a fire in the middle
mile on a qualifing run. By the time the car was stopped at the seven
mile the whole back half of the car from the cockpit was in flames.
Chris and Ed Shearer chased the car almost two miles before it stopped
still in flames. I arrived within one minute and there was no way with
the fire anyone in this case could have gotten to the back of the car if
it had a switch and turned it off. After the fire was out, Jack OK and
all had settled down the water pumps and everything else was still
running as they loaded it on the trailer. The fiberglass body was a rag
melted down on the back of the car.

This was an extreme case but shows there is no easy answer. Front engine
or rear engine cars each have their own problems. Good judgement is the
key in locating one or two switches and is the option of the builder. I
used to run a top gas dragster and the chute release shut off the fuel
and killed the mag all in one pull and never failed me. Like someone
said you have 10 months to work it out. Tonights chat should bring a lot
to light and help with some answers.

Glen