Re: C Motor Continued

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: C Motor Continued
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:23:22 -0800
Keith,

My two cents worth! First, you are not going to be able to tell much
about your jetting with free load testing. Was this carburetor on this
size motor before? If so I can't believe that it is too far off.
Carburetors have a great flexibility because fuel is delivery is
dependent upon the velocity thru the carburetor venturi. Carburetors
will adjust somewhat even to the larger displacements.

As far the leaning at high idle, this is a common problem with
carburetors. This is called a transfer problem. There are three systems
to be considered in the carburetor fuel delivery system, the idle
circuit, the main circuit and the power circuit. As the throttle opening
increases, at approximately 1000 to 1500 RPMs, the major fuel control is
transferred from the idle to the main circuit. If the idle system is a
little lean, then there is a lean condition, flat spot, or a complete
failure to run, depending on how lean the idle circuit is.

Assuming a correct fuel level in the carburetor, on production vehicles
my approach for correcting this is by drilling the idle jet a couple of
thousandth. Raising the float level slightly will also usually solve the
problem, but this also richens up the other systems, as well, which
probably isn't a big problem with what we do. Good Luck!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC