Re: Nitropropane

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nitropropane
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:40:28 -0400
John,

It's in II-2, "Approved fuels are: Nitrous Oxide, nitromethane, alcohol and
non-approved gasoline."
But to make things really confusing in the next paragraph you find, "Engines
using CNG, LPG or diesel may compete in gasoline classes", even though LPG,
CNG, and Diesel were not on the list of approved fuels.
This would seem to indicate that a car running on LPG and nitrous would not
be legal in any class, fuel or gas, as the nitrous excludes it from gas, and
LPG is not on the approved list for fuel ???
Worse yet, by the letter of the law it seems illegal to run approved
gasoline in combination with nitrous in the fuel classes, again approved
gasoline is not on the list of legal fuels for fuel classes.  Obviously that
was not the intent of the rules as it is done all the time, but it seems to
be what the book says.
On the other hand there do not seem to be any limitations on additives (in
fuel classes), so perhaps gasoline with nitropropane added is just
considered non-approved gasoline ???  Is anything still just an additive if
you are using large percentages of it, like 49% ???
Do you think it was the intent of the rules to allow any fuel in the fuel
classes, and the list in II-2 is just incomplete ?

Even more confused than usual, Greg