Re: Flying Streamliners

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flying Streamliners
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
That's true Doug, but the one main difference is
that aeronautical engineers are trained to
develop those aeronautics on all surfaces for a
vehicle that is receiving lift from it's own
design.  The car doesn't want any lift, and there
are factors close to the ground that just aren't
fully explored in aeronautical engineering
classes.  Even an airplane won't act the same
flying next to the ground as it does once it
reaches true air space.  But I do think that
somebody with the background of an aeronautical
engineer would take all of that into
consideration, he'd just be making some educated
guesses when it comes to operating in ground
space and with designing the bottom of the car.

 Better an educated guess than unfounded trial
and error though.

Dick J

--- ARDUNDOUG@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 06/09/2000 4:47:32 AM
> Pacific Daylight Time,
> dwarner@electrorent.com writes:
>
> << Amen!!!
>   >>
> Dan,
>     A retired Douglas Aircraft Aeronautical
> Engineer from LA (now living in
> Twain Harte, CA) named Don Elder did the aero
> work on my Modified Roadster
> and it seems to work very well. Wind resistance
> is wind resistance, whether
> on an airplane or a car. When doing a car one
> just doesn't want the thing to
> fly.
>     Elder does "wind-wizard" work for a number
> of racers, including designing
> wings for race cars...............Doug King

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com