Re: Bonneville Transmissions

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonneville Transmissions
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:27:41 EDT
In a message dated 08/28/2000 1:27:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ardunbill@webtv.net writes:

<< Elmo Gillette told me his general practice with the Ardun Red Head
 streamliner was to run high gear only, a heavy steel flywheel and a
 Long-style clutch(easier to hold in for starting).  Push the car up to
 60+ mph with the truck, let the clutch in and chug away up to top speed
 on the Long Course.  He said it was easier on the driver not to shift
 gears; just steer and keep the gas pedal down all the way.  Bill

    When we ran my Ardun in the Redhead in 87 I can't remember if we pushed
it a ways or if I drove-it off the line, but I recall that it had a 2-speed
tranny that took a lot of clutch-slipping to keep the engine from
bogging........Ardun Doug