Occupations

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Occupations
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:28:28 -0500 (EST)
I spent 26 years up to early retirement in '91 as a street-level
community worker and manager in the local Health Dept.  The fun part of
my life has been on the hobby side, starting about 50 years ago at 10
when my Dad turned me on to model airplanes.  In no time I was building
my own control-line stunt models with the immortal Fox .35.  Did this
hot-and-heavy until old enough to drive.

Next chapter was usual high-school hot rodding and cruising Lake Street
in Minneapolis.  Hot Rod Magazine's most devoted reader for many years.
Profoundly impressed by the Arduns and Bonneville roadsters of the '50s,
which accounts for #124 now after a six year project beginning with
going to Mississippi for the Ardun. (Thanks Billy Jack Ethridge!)

Couldn't get into the big buck cars as a boy for lack of funds, but good
motorcycles could be had for low bucks in the late '50s, and I got on my
first almost 45 years ago, and never been off one since, still enjoying
8-9K miles a year.  The third bike I rode was a '52 Vincent Black
Shadow, the first of many Vincents I've enjoyed, the last being the
replica Vincent Black Lightning in my shop now.  I've been through all
the medium and heavy bikes of the world, (only one Harley) and
eventually worked my way up to the light, sweet handling, controllable
250cc Kaw sportbike I ride today which I like better for comfort, safety
and fun  than any of the others.

My XXF/GR, that finally ran somewhere close to right on Sept. 30 at
Maxton after a six year struggle, has been tremendous fun and a
fascinating challenge.  I wanted to find out what the Ardun guys were
doing back in the '50s and I have found out part of it now, and looking
forward to more.  The Ardun is enough for me for now and forever, can
hold me for the next 30 years (hope I get to go out like Bruce Johnston)
trying to work my way up to bigger engines, maybe a 4-71, etc.  The car
also has a lot of scope for improvements.

We've got a lot of real engineering achievers on this list.  I'm merely
a hobbyist.  In retirement there are two key things:  1. enough money
and 2. something interesting to do.  You young fellas still workin',
invest now so you can enjoy this later.  Cheers from ArdunBill in the
Great Dismal Swamp, Chesapeake, VA