Re: Occupations

To: Ken Bond <kmb2@humboldt.edu>
Subject: Re: Occupations
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:57:05 -0700
You are right Keith, I've been in the closet on this one - Wow! Real talent
here! I really am out of my element.............. Better 'fess up here or you
will "out" me.........
Ed Van Scoy: Born 1948 in Huntsville Alabama. Education: Product of the Alabama
public school system. Went to high school in Tempe, AZ (Where in my neighborhood
there were more hoods than neighbors.....) where I pursued a full-time career in
Juvenile Delinquency.  My interests were fast motorcycles & fast cars. Started
drag racing a bike at Beeline Dragway in 1963 & started racing cars as soon as I
turned 16 & got a license. Built a Chevy in auto mechanics class that I drove on
the street and had a best et of 12.06. (BTW, Bill M. was racing at BeeLine at
the same time) Proudly graduated Tempe High with 21 traffic tickets & 3 license
suspensions to date and a girl friend who would later become my Wife & present
crew chief (Linda). In the yearbook there was a section of "most likely to - - "
I was honored with the title "to hold the parking lot land-speed record"  (due
to my many open-header burn-outs in the parking lot during class hours) Linda,
my eventual wife was bestowed with "girl most likely to be impressed with a
guy's car"  With the draft breathing down my neck I went in the Marines. 6
months later, with my ass in the grass, I've got an M-16 in one hand and a radio
on my back with a front row seat of the Current Attraction - Tet 1969- Playing
in wide release across Viet Nam. Learned to hate helicopters - they fall out of
the sky......Got back with nothing more than a few scratches and was sent to 29
Palms, CA. to train troops.  Fell in love with the high desert as you can drive
REAL FAST there. Got out, worked on a loading dock, machine shop, and as a
Process Server.Generally drifted until I got a job with the County Assessor as a
property appraiser. This gave me enough money to keep me in  Harley Davidsons
and plenty of car parts. In 1981, took apart a 1964 Corvette, built a complete
custom out of it and took it on the ISCA show car tour all over the country. The
Vette took Outstanding Sports at the World Championship Show in 1985 in New
Orleans. Every show car has to have a gimmick to be a winner - mine was
assembled with NO nuts or bolts (I'll let you dwell on that a while.....)
After a few years there (and working my way up to Chief  Commercial Appraiser) I
realized the Government was really screwing the taxpayers.soooooo, I quit and
opened up my own  Property Tax Consulting firm and used what they taught me to
file appeals and lower the taxes for my clients. (this was a natural progression
- when you ride a Harley and drive a red Corvette you spend a lot of time by the
side of the road arguing your case to men in blue uniforms- might as well put on
a suit and get paid for it)   10 years later I sold out to a national firm and
for the last 6 years I have been looking for a new job. In the meantime I built
a 1985 Corvette to run the Silver State Classic & other open-road races in
Nevada. That car took me to B'Ville. I still drag race (begrudgingly, I hate
bracket racing) and have a '73 Vette autocross car built from left-over LSR
blown engines.  OK Keith? That score high enough on the "humble-meter" One of
these days I'm gonna get another job, as soon as I can figure out how to make
REAL rocks.
Ed