Occupations

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Occupations
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:38:18 -0800
Hi,
I guess I'd qualify as the closest to those shepherds on the list ... I've
been selling clothes made from all that wool for 45 years.  Before that I
got hooked on Bonneville in 1947 when the Cobb run of 392 mph happened.
I've been a land-speed racing fan since.   Bummed a ride to the Salt Flats
in 1951 with my camera in hand and have been back every year I could
possibly make it since.  Met racers Don and Mary West there in '51 and found
out they lived fifteen miles from me.   I've enjoyed that association in
many ways, Don built the Chev engine for my '59 entry Studebaker coupe, sold
me the water pump off the Austin Healey 6 engine he had in his shed when the
one went out on my 3000.  I've been around on many engine rebuilds for the
Jag powered E Boat he tuned ... I was on that crew for several years.  Spent
time on a bobbing float taking pictures of the starts and finishes of the
E-boat Nationals when they were held in Utah.  Moved to California and went
to every race I could attend at the Riverside Raceway.  Our Ft Ord training
company went to the first races at Laguna Seca and after moving to L. A. I
would fly up (good old PSA) for $24 round trip to San Francisco and con
friends into going to the races there for the weekend.  Finally moved to the
Bay area and a couple of years later, 1969, a friend and I went to the races
at Laguna Seca and he brought along his sister who was visiting from Utah.
I married her the next June.  Since moving back to Utah I have indulged
myself in my favorite sports ... skiing and salt flats racing.  With a store
to support and then girls to put through school I got back into involvement
on the Bonneville Salt Flats because of the Save the Salt movement.  Figured
I needed to put my body where my mouth was on that deal.  Attended the first
World of Speed and have been there every year since doing whatever needed
doing.  Ended up as USFRA Secretary after Mary West resigned.  I really
enjoy my friendships with racers dating back many years ... I'm a BIG fan of
these people.  Currently working on several projects, one successful one has
been with Jeff Decker who has done our top speed trophies, fine art bronzes,
of the Rollie Free record ride on the Black Lightning Vincent bike and the
#115 Fred Larsen streamliner.  Another project, just getting going with good
friend Stanley Wanlass as the sculptor, is to place a bigger than life fine
art bronze of the Ab Jenkins' "Mormon Meteor III" Duesenberg on the salt.
I wrote a chapter for an upcoming book about racing on the salt and I've had
photos published in several magazines and newspapers... everything from
wrestling and landscapes to drownings and hot rods.  I'm a big BYU fan but
my older two daughters have ended up graduating from USC and FIDM in
downtown Los Angeles.  The youngest has been coming to the salt with me for
seven years but wants to go to med.school so it looks like she won't attend
the Y either ... but she does have autographed posters of salt racers on her
wall.
Wes Potter  USFRA Secretary