Re: Additives

To: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: Additives
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:14:50 -0800
Doug,
I agree that products and methods have changed over the years. Back in
the 60s, we used cheap cast iron rings, Pedrick was the brand, I
believe, about $6 per set. In that day conventional wisdom was to use a
non detergent oil for break in. Today we have the Chrome rings,
cross-hatch power honing, etc., and as some have said, gobs of additives
from the start. If that works for them, I would not try to change
their mind.

I may be old fashion, but I don't use additives, never have had much
confidence in them. I have always considered a good oil to have what is
needed. I have entertained changing my mind though after listening to
Smokey Yunick promote the Pro-Long products. We generally use 20W-50
Pennzoil from start up to blow up, or ???
Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC