Re: Recap on 'World Records Topic'

To: "Jack Costella" <Nt788@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Recap on 'World Records Topic'
From: "\"LandSpeed\" Louise Ann Noeth" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:33:43 -0800
Jack

I think lsr attempts are getting a lot more coverage these days, with
more coming all the time. I can't see the interest high enough yet to
warrant the expense of a
coverage teama at each event. However, the sport IS on the radar
screen of many publications as a FEATURE item, but it takes time and
public support.

Consider this, Popular Mechanics Jan2001 and March 2001 have lsr
articles but I started pleading  with Editor Joe Oldham in Nov of 1999
(while we were getting some laps in on the  Willow Springs roadcourse)
to do a LSR article and a review of my book. For the next five months
I followed up Auto Editor Don Chaikin and west coast editor Scott
Oldham who was replaced mid-stream with Ben Stewart  to get the sport
more recognition. Unless I mentioned it, you would not know what went
on behind the scenes because my name, nor photos do not appear in the
article. As it should be. My hope was to ignite new fascination with
the sport, not hijack more personal space to pad my bank account. It
worled. Ben is full-fledged fan of lsr, as id Bill Delany, the
assigned photog.

Pontiac brought several other nationally respected journalists to the
salt in 2000. What started as coverage of Mike Cook's Bonneville
effort matriculated from a paragraph and photo in Road&Track to a
two-page article and full-page book review. Auto World Weekly's Editor
in Chief wrote an enthusiastic editorial that money couldn't buy and
has indicated he wants me to write and shoot more articles on lsr
racing. I am also wokring on a piece for HOT ROD. I also know of a
dozne other writers who a busy hammering out assignments for the 2001
editorial calendar. Bravo!

Think of what a great story LSR racing would make in Esquire, Vanity
Fair, New York Times Magazine,  National Geographic, or on NPR,
Nightline or NBC Nightly News. these are the dolks I want to drag onto
to salt.

To me, LSR racing has unseated stick and ball sports as the great
American past
time because it does not kiss the big corporate butt. Instead, it is a
showcase for great American know-how, ingenuity and plain 'ole good
times. With all due respect to our British, Australian and Italian
pals, the last half century has been decidedly American in focus, but
as it grows, so too will we hopefully see an increased participation
from other nations.

My point here is education of the sport. You folks build 'em, race 'em
and be the wildly diverse and fun-filled group of speed freaks that I
have come to love ardently. I want to be your storyteller, but not
your only one . . .  the sport needs more storytellers to come, see
and tell.

For some, as you say that will be enough, for others, it will mean
more than any record they might ink in any book anywhere.

Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions
Telling stories with words and pictures