Re: Why not use 4130

To: "Jerry Dickinson" <og_1leg@hotmail.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why not use 4130
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:54:27 -0600
Tom Burkland and I have been discussing that exact topic.... Strength comes
from Size as well as wall thickness....  Mild steel is just to easy to deal
with in comparison to Chromoly...

The First thing to learn here is that Weight is not your driving factor in
design.... it's got to be a consideration.... but it's not the Bottom
line...

I am designing a Modified Sports right now to run on at all the Venues...
but primarily Maxton... or at least that is where it will see the most
use.... Weight is a bigger consideration on the shorter courses...
Bonneville in my Camaro which is similar to your car requires that I run
LOTS of Ballast... or at least that is what makes me feel comfortable....
600lbs total...  Sounds bad until you consider that it has made the car
hook up Much better... and consequently has made it Bunches faster....

Just a thought...

Keith... here you can check out my junk at....
http://downtown.ala.net/~kturk/camaro3001.htm