Re: Why not use 4130

To: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>, "Jerry Dickinson"
Subject: Re: Why not use 4130
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:17:27 -0800
Jerry and list
The one thing that started all of this was the early rear engine and a few
front engine dragsters were showing up at the lakes. Most were .049 wall
tubes and due to the many cycles of drag racing, transportation and running
on the dry lake bed with some rough areas we started seeing failures. Lots
of cracks and in one case the dragster turned lakester got up side down and
tore the roll cage off the car. The cage was to the specs but the attaching
tubes were O-to-thin and tore the material right out still welded to the
roll cage. It was a fatal accident.

We had several chassis builders look at the wreakage and they first
recomended some changes to better re-inforce the cages etc. They also stated
that mild steel is the better choice for long wheel base cars due to lots of
flexing. The rule book states any frame can be used, but must be approved by
the contest board. The burden of proof is up to the owner/builder.
Glen