Re: Why not use 4130

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why not use 4130
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:51:33 EST
In a message dated 02/21/2001 11:46:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
og_1leg@hotmail.com writes:

<< Why does the rulebook recommend Mild steel and not 4130? I know 4130 is
more
 diffacult to weld, but I would think if you had a welder that could weld it
 right 4130 would be stronger.

Jerry,
    My read on the subject is that, as you said, chrome moly is more
difficult to weld properly than mild steel. Most welders can do a pretty good
with MS but far fewer can do a good job with CM.
    Up until a few years ago SCTA gave no extra credence to CM over MS,
requiring the wall thickness  to be the same whether using one or another.
    Sometime in the past 5 years or so the specs were changed, allowing
thinner wall CM tube to be used as an alternative to  the heavier MS tube.
                                                        Ardun Doug King