Re: Head Gaskets

To: "tim schoeny" <tschoen@fuse.net>, "Tom Neimeyer" <3cbxs@ev1.net>
Subject: Re: Head Gaskets
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:32:48 -0500
Greetings friends
Well I'm back home for a while.  As a short explanation, Glenys and I
returned from a short vacation to find my mother having had a massive
stroke.  My dad is way into the 3rd phase of Alzheimers and cannot be left
alone.  My siblings and I are of course doing everything we need to do to
take care of them.  With both in their late 80's the end is near.  It seems
that we are at that point in our lives, but it certainly has been a good
run.....
Now on to the gasket stuff....

Tim replied

> Been running the FelPro Permatorque(? sp) gasket and ARP studs for three
years
> with no problems.No sealers and no or very little surface clean up when
removing

Tims answer is pretty representative of what many of us have experienced.
The Fel Pro wire ring (1000 series) provide a great unit load and the ARP
studs are also what I have been using.  Studs/torque values and clamp load
are paramount to good sealing.  The gasket numbers Mike makes refrence to
are also both wire ring, meaning that there is a pre flattened wire ring
inside the fire ring (armour) to provide a very high unit load for
combustion seal.  Many of us have used these gaskets without other aids with
lots of success.  If power approaches 150 hp per bore we typically reinforce
the amour with music wire embeded in the deck.  A groove is cut to provide
for about .005" of wire to protrude just outboard of the armour that
supports and adds to the "hoop" strength.  At levels of 200 HP per bore the
sealing requirements are substantially higher and require something like the
"Coopers" ring or gas filled "O" rings.  I will discuss those in a separate
note because many of us are approaching those figures.  Since I had a couple
of notes about torque to yield, I'll address that in a separate note.
So, the bottom line is the Fel Pro wire ring gaskets, with no coating and
good studs and nuts, torqued with appropriate lube, do the job quite nicely.
Of course there are still a lot of racers using copper, and as reported, it
works.
More notes later.

Rick