Re: Head Gaskets

To: "Jim Bickford" <jbickford@volcano.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Gaskets
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:54:35 -0500
Jim brings up an interesting point.  I originally used "vented" O rings made
by a guy on the west coast,  (Don Vesco and Billy Talley put me on to him)
but when he could no longer supply inconnel, and wanted to supply the same
parts from 321 SS, I switched to the gas filled rings from a different
source.  I never failed a vented ring, but feel that the gas pressure is a
more complete design. I have no data of ring temperature when I run with an
EGT of 1800 to 1850  deg F,  but felt that the extra protection would be
safer.  Sealing load would be more balanced over a wider temperature range.
I actually, never had an engine failure of any kind until I started running
the N/A motor and twisted the snot out of it.
On the N/A motor  or a lightly boosted engine, I would not hesitate to use
the SS vented O rings.  The Armour of the Fel Pro gaskets we have been
talking about is 321 Stainless, and it lives very well without detonation.
Lots of heat transfer thru the deck and head.
Cost wise they were about the same.  Within 3 or 4 dollars each.

Rick