Re: New Car Procedures

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Car Procedures
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:32:25 EDT
In a message dated 9/4/2001 10:38:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Nt788@aol.com
writes:

> Waiting in line at Bonneville, while your buddies work hard to fix things,
> is
> a lot better than waiting for TV crews taking pictures of media heroes! Jack

       Well said, Jack. The procedures in place now work very well from my
perspective. They are a "committee" effort of a group of competitors who have
"been-there, done-that" and have a good "handle" on what works and what
won't. Once you've traveled "the long black line" (between the long black
lines nowadays) you get a different view than those who wish to make or
change rules without being a LSR competitor.
       I can appreciate the desire of non competitors and not-yet competitors
to be a part of this fascinating process, as evidenced by the "various
venues" records thread last year involving National Records, International
Records, World Records, FIA Records, etc.
       There are many ways for non-competitors and not-yet competitors to
become involved and be a part of LSR. Without the support group for just
about any car on the salt, that car couldn't compete. Without the many, many
volunteers who set up and tear down the courses and pit area, register the
cars and crews, sell tee shirts and souveniers, perform course steward tasks,
monitor the orderly progress in the lines, do Tech, operate the impound area,
measure the engines in Tech, and a million other jobs, the meets couldn't
even get started.
       As was mentioned some time back, I believe that there are SCTA-BNI
suggestion forms available in the registration area at each and every meet.
These forms are collected and considered by the Rules Committee, which then
judges their merit and either considers or rejects them.
       True, any set of procedures needs constant "fine-tuning". In some
cases (such as SCTA-BNI in the late 80's and early 90's) they needed a major
shakeup. The SCTA-BNI of recent memory is a great organization, run by a very
talented, hard working, unbiased group of VOLUNTEERS.
       There are procedures in place for suggestions concerning the
operations of the meets. Get involved either as a meet volunteer, crew
member, or both, and you'll see things from a little different
perspective.......................Ardun Doug King