Re: New Car Procedures

To: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: New Car Procedures
From: "Bill McDowell" <racerat@cvc.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:49:34 -0700
Hi Guys,  this is my first post to the list.  I am the guy in the timing
tower that is trying to make the short course run as fast as safety will
allow.  I know some days you wait in long lines.  After working in the tower
for 6 days, 12+ hours a day, a few things come to my mind about making the
line faster.  First, I recomend we have more turnouts available after the 3
mile marker if the salt is not smooth enough to turn out.  We had one at the
2 3/4, and one at the 3 1/2,  but for some reason people liked to turn out
past the 4 mile marker. Most of these were not fast vehicles.  If drivers
would angle off the track, I can see from my position the track is clear and
can send another vehicle.  From the drivers perspective, are the turnouts
two sharp?  We waste alot of time waiting for cars to turnout and clear the
course.  If you are haveing a problem and need help or have posible left
parts on the course turn in toward the middle so we know it.  Many times the
drivers coast on the track untill they roll to a stop.  More so this year
than past years,  people were not ready when they got to the line?????? just
what my starters tell me.  These may seem like little things to some, but
from my chair and what I do all week, it adds up to alot of time.  The good
thing was, we ran alot of runs, and had a safe meet.  Bill McD