varity of classes

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: varity of classes
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 08:51:13 -0700
The real problem to
me is insuring that a vehicle meets a class and per the riules that is up to
the participant. Only safety is teched and that goes for any vehicle no
matter the class or motor or whatever. I do think the class categories are
ok but again there is a simple procedure for getting a class included.

If nobody runs a "class" how is it a class? What do you do with someone that
shows up with a vehicle that does not meet current configuration specs? How do
you "class" the vehicle, where do you put it for record considerations? How
can you have a record, or minimum at the lakebed if you have no history of
that configuration to build on? How do you know the speed potential to
correctly safety inspect the vehicle, does your insurance carrier have an
issue with non-conforming vehicles using his policy?

Someone mentioned the "time only" option. That means you pay the same entry
fees for no record, no timing plaque, no points earned for the El Mirage
season, etc. I certainly am not willing to pay the $400 entry, $100 a night
non-refundable room rates, and other costs involved with competing at
Bonneville for no chance at a certified record.

Mayf is correct in that it takes only a keystroke to add or delete classes, no
problem. I ask why if no one enters do we need a "class". The rulebook is
currently a very few pages short of exceeding the limits of the binding. This
means the rulebook costs will soon double, or the book becomes a different
size, or we publish two books, one for rules and one for records only.

Have you tried to enter your vehicle at the Indy 500, any Winston Cup or SCCA
event? They do not add "classes" for non-conforming vehicles, why must we?

Now you hold the ladder while I attempt to climb from the soap box.

DW