Re: varity of classes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: varity of classes
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:15:29 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/2001 8:53:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwarner@electrorent.com writes:

> Have you tried to enter your vehicle at the Indy 500, any Winston Cup or SCCA
> event? They do not add "classes" for non-conforming vehicles, why must we?
>
> Now you hold the ladder while I attempt to climb from the soap box.

Dan,
       Well stated. Most of us start the building procedure with a rulebook
in hand and go from there, building a car and engine for the class we're
interested in.
       Sometime back someone mentioned "tongue-in-cheek" that pretty soon we
will have classes broken down into car colors if we kept up the expansion.
       NASCAR & NHRA even have templates to regulate the shape of the
door-slammer bodies, leaving only the graphics and colors up to the
individual entrant.
       To me, building the car first and then looking for a class to run in
is putting the cart before the horse. I think it's unreasonable to expect the
sanctioning body to create a new class for an entrant that didn't start by
building within the existing specified classes.
                                                             Ardun Doug King