wheelbase

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: wheelbase
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:40:21 +0100
Hi Folks,

Another technical question on the list - wheelbase.

Correct is, that a long wheelbase is better than short one.
But there is something important.
The longer wheelbase is only better, if the frame between the two axles is very
stiff - strong.
If you got a long wheelbase and the frame is soft (weak), the car goes
everywhere - means is very nervous, more nervous than a car with a short
wheelbase.
Also correct is, that, so further the driver is sitting back, so easier is it
for the driver to correct the car.
I'm still wondering how Donald Campbell runs the Blue Bird CN 7, sitting in the
nose of the car. When in 1971 Craig Breedlove got the rights from Tonia
Campbell, to use the Blue Bird for another wheeldriven attempt, he changed the
concept to a cockpit in the rear fin - at last nothing happened and the the car
stayed in England in his original configuration.
Anyway, it is better to sit further back, but in the rear is not really the
best
place.
First, if the car is very long it can be, that the bodywork "take the view away"
which you need - what I mean, is, that the "jumping" car, and with this the
body, let you loose the view point.
Second, if you sit in the rear, you be too far away from the center gravity.
This was the reason, why Ron Ayers moved the driver position from Andy Green
into the middle of the Thrust SSC, instead of the original position in front of
the air inducts.
The center gravity is important, because in the center of the car is the
lowiest
g-force, which gives you a easier handle of the car (steering).
Also important is the wheel track, so smaller the wheel track is, so better the
car goes straight. But carefully, a long wheelbase and a small wheel track
works
only, if the frame/axle/wheels are absolute straight and in an alignment.
If not the car goes sideways.......

At last, length....old aerodynamic rule....length is speed.
Every inch a car is longer, the airflow is cleaner...and a cleaner airflow
means
a faster speed.

See ya

Pork Pie

Ps. For the Cremona Plan - I have to make some sketches, due to this that I
gave
my books to a student. The e-mails will go out the next week.