RE: Dry sump

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Dry sump
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:28:09 -0600
Dave:
Your drill will take the system to full pressure at the drill's rpm-- which
is-- what-- 800RPM?  Then it will take 5X the horsepower to get that pump to
4000rpm, against the same load.  In effect-- 5 of your 1/2 inch drills.  I
don't know, but it seems to me like what you are REALLY saying here is that
it takes a lot of power to turn the pump at racing speeds.

For sure the belts on the alternator don't (at first glance) look like they
would carry 15hp.  For now, I'm willing to accept the values that Brian
offered us-- that is, a max of 5hp for the alternator.  I can see that one
of my simplifying assumptions was incorrect: I assumed that the power needed
by the alternator, the water pump, and the oil pump would be in direct
proportion to the overall power output of the engine.  This is still the
best perspective I can come up with for the water pump and the oil pump--
but the alternator demand is more "fixed" and really doesn't change much in
relation to engine horsepower, I think.

Maybe you need to think again about those belts, though.  Look what drives
Turbinator.  Scale down the cross-section to match the sectional area of the
belts in your car.  Now scale down Turbinator's horsepower by the same
factor.  Bet the result will be bigger than 15hp.  (Or we could use
late-model Harley belt drives for comparison, if we accept the premise that
critical design function for the belts is really peak torque impulse (not
horsepower, itself)-- which a big Harley has in abundance, and which the
alternator has very little of.)
Russ, #1226B