Re: Dry sump

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry sump
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:30:07 -0600
Wet sump's are inexpensive.... work okay... and leave oil on all the parts
hanging on to that big Silver thing in the middle of the engine...   Then
there is the oil that comes down uncontrolled on top of that 3/4 race bump
stick and gets all slung around.   Those ring thingy's well they have
tension and hang out on the cylinder wall going up and down pretty quick....
the bottom one has to wipe all that oil off the cylinder walls on it's way
down so the oil doesn't accidentally get up to the combustion chamber and
mess with the fuel air combination your trying to fire... seems oil changes
the combination and might even cause some detonation.... ( I have lots of
ashtrys due to detonation... mostly from other causes... but I can
personally testify that it's kinda detrimental to long term engine
operations )

Now that Internal oil pump is driven off the cam... and we know it's got
some pretty close tolerances... so it's taking Hp all on it's own isn't it?
reckon it's twistin on that cam shaft any?  hmmm wonder if the distributor
has any timing changes as a result of that twist?  or if those helical gears
are pushing that cam shaft in one direction or the other?

Soooo as we look at the dry sump which really is nothing more then the same
set of pump gears built to much closer specifications takes about the same
amount of Hp anyway..... what increases it's demands are the fact that we
have some other stages on the back side of the dry sump which suck oil out
of different area's.... and isolate components... like the top and bottom of
the engine... if your real fancy you can even take it out of the heads....
but the bottom line is the scavange stages aren't really working as hard as
the Pressure side.... which by the way I have total control over
externally.... so I can adjust the absolute pressure at the RPM I want.....
hmmm

and last but not least.... look at ANY type of professional race car... see
what kinda system they run.... you can beat your head against the wall
trying to design your own wet sump that's just right.... or like Dave
said... buy Once dry sump and use it for life...

Just some side notes or food for thought...

Keith