Re: 1 hour turnaround time

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: 1 hour turnaround time
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 05:52:55 -0400
For the wind correction wouldn't you have to have a least 50 sensors along the
track and then have to know what the wind was while the car was actually at that
point and also know that the car did not disturb the air as well? How do you
know if the apparent wind is from nature or the wake of the car.. In 1 hour the
wind can swing around from one end of the track to the other and be different at
half track in both cases as well. Might be smarter to do what we do now. Have a
max reading at whatever is the designated measuring point and just not race the
car unless it is under some safe reading. If the one hour turn around time is
supposed to allow for wind direction it seems like a fantasy. Obviously written
by someone who has never been sailing.. It might be more accurate to run the car
at the same time of the day if the weather fronts are stable in the area as
thermal effects create more wind than anything else. If you ever do any boating
at least in the northeast you become very aware of the weather and at what times
of the day the wind and water get churned up and at what times the wind dies
down and the water is calm. I suspect the same phenomena occurs everywhere. In
my opinion 'corrected time slips are a bag of worms I would not even want to get
started on as the correction can go either way and may or may not effect the
speed of the car.

As far as working on your car in 'Warnerville' I take great comfort in knowing
that all is equal there..
Dave