RE: Quick Data Connectors

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>, "'Keith Turk'"
Subject: RE: Quick Data Connectors
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:25:01 -0500
Neil:
I know all this stuff.  I have lectured on it, and published several papers.
In my "corporate" days, I represented the U.S. to I.S.O. in Industrial Heat
Flow, and in Infrared Thermography.

Everybody (except for Mayf and John) seems to have gotten the wrong idea
about what my concern is.  Extreme absolute accuracy (either lack of bias,
or great precision) is probably of little benefit in LSR.  What I'm
concerned about is REPEATABILITY, reliability of the data-- especially if
you need to change one or more components in the system.

Although, as you suggest, some brands of TCs are quite unreliable-- their
demise is usually pretty obvious; you don't get tricked into thinking you
are still getting good data.  I am less concerned about the sensors
themselves than the other parts of the systems.  Inconsistent field amps,
for example, have probably cost the petrochemical industry billions in
inability to control the manufacturing processes.  They could hurt our
ability to control our tune-ups, too.
Russ, #1226B

BTW-- RTDs -- besides not liking high temperatures-- also don't like
vibration.  They don't seem a likely choice for automotive aps, to me.