RE: Quick Data Connectors

To: "Bill Pokey Bennett" <bennevl@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: Quick Data Connectors
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:25:49 -0500
Bill:
I agree those furnaces are a little big to calibrate sensors with!  How long
does it take to stabilize a big temperature change, anyway?  Hours, I'll
bet.

The sort of simulation you mention should be easy enough to do, provided you
have an accurate and stable microvolt source.  Leeds and Northrup used to
make a "potentiometer"-- which actually was a lot more than that.  You could
read and simulate all kinds of TCs with it.  All you needed was the TC
voltage tables.  Worked off a Wheatstone bridge.

I have a modern digital version (from Omega-- can't remember who actually
makes it).  Pretty expensive.

That's a good idea you had.  I could find out quite a bit about the field
amps without setting-up very much equipment.  Now if I could just get the
darned datalogger harness.

BTW-- you can get some fairly cheap little TC simulator boxes, but i think
they typically only give you one voltage/ temperature point, for one kind of
TC.  I used to have one or two (came packaged with other equipment), but I
don't remember ever trying one or knowing how they work; I always had
something to use that I liked better.
Russ, #1226B