Re: Radiator or Tank

To: basavage@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Radiator or Tank
From: "Phillip Landry" <saltracer@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:52:08 -0500
All I know is what we experienced, the first year we ran the flathead in our
roadster we had an inadequate small electric water pump with a 7 gallon
aluminum water tank we attempted to pressurize. It blew up three times as we
were making steam faster than the small  pump could pump water to the tank.
Advance to year two and whole new system with 348 chevy water pump on the
flathead with 1x3 tubing carrying water to two 7 gallon water tanks (air
bottles from Wal-Mart) with a rear mounted aluminum radiator (no air ducting
or fan) routed between the tanks. We made 16 runs, as many as 4 a day
without the car getting to 200 degrees. This year we added a blower to the
flathead and although we made only four runs the car barely gets off of 160
degrees. This current water system incorporates a 7 lb cap on the radiator.
Phil

>From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: Radiator or Tank
>Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:22:44 -0700
>
>In addition you can run stuff in the cooling system that can't be dumped on
>the salt.
>so if you have an engine that is steam pocket prone (Flathead) you can run
>50%
>antifreeze at 24+ lb and keep maximum coolant temperature below about 230
>degrees. because the vented tank water will boil at about 204 degrees.
>Depending
>on the class, that setup will reduce drag if you can direct the air around
>the outside
>of the car instead of through the radiator.
>Dave's method is the only way to go in a streamliner.
>
>Bryan
>

>Dave Dahlgren wrote:
>
>>because if the tank is vented to the atmosphere it will cool quicker and
>>you will
>>gain the heat of vaporization if the water boils as well.. It also allows
>>you
>>dump the water without having to screw around with the engine.. That way
>>you can
>>put what you want in the engine for coolant and plain water in the tank..
>>You
>>can also run a 24 lb cap without having a tank that looks like a boiler as
>>well.
>>
>>Dave
>>
>>John Beckett wrote:

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!