Re: Kids racing

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: Re: Kids racing
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:50:36 -0600
Tom,

My wife agrees with you on that point.  she says the greatest change over
her thirty years of teaching in elementary schools (spanning forty years) is
the parent.  When she started teaching, if there was a problem at school the
parent looked first at the child as the problem.  The kid who was in trouble
at school was in twice as much trouble at home.  Today, when there is a
problem at school the teacher is blamed, the administration is blamed, the
curriculum is questioned as being relevant for the child and the kid skates.

When she taught the son of our present SLC Mayor and his kid caused
problems, the father wanted five other kids straightened out and punished
before he would listen to problems with his kid.  The father is an A.C.L.U.
lawyer .... but you could have guessed that.  That was not an unusual case.
Many teachers today belong to teacher's unions because of the legal help
they get when parents sue over the way their children are treated ... and
the kids just need a good spanking.

Wes