RE: Technology

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Technology
From: "John L Staiger" <staiger3@starband.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:14:43 -0400
As a newbie I spend most of my time absorbing the vast knowledge and insight
that is spoken on this form.  However, I could not let your comment go
without asking a question... Since as you say most of us scrape together
what ever money we have and "invest" it into a vehicle to satisfy some
strange calling we mutually share, many of us also buy used parts... why not
used DA?  Although the state-of-the-art is very cool, much of the generation
one DA is coming on the market at very reasonable pricing.  In fact, many of
the Pro teams are dumping the "old" stuff as they don't think there is a
market.

As a case in point, I just competed the acquisition of the motors for my new
car using this philosophy (3.5/4.0L Aurora IRL engines with full electronics
and DA) for 1.5 - 2 cents on the dollar.  I admit I "chose" to buy the DA
and teach myself about the electronics as I go... the same approach as I am
using on the car...  Anyhow, not sure if will go fast, but it will be fun...
just a thought...

John L. Staiger

staiger3@starband.net
"...those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up
with either."
                             -- Benjamin Franklin

But most Bonneville folks work with cast off engine parts to race, including
me
(rods in the #265 car were from a BUSCH engine..........I got them and have
been running them since 1986! They went 300, I can go on). We all have
different
ideas on how to go fast. In the long run preparation seems to be the best
for
me. However I disagree that electronics' is not expensive, paying you or
someone like you and getting the hardware would stall 90% of the racers.