RE: Hot Rod/Bore,Stroke combo's

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Hot Rod/Bore,Stroke combo's
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 10:21:15 -0400
I think any decent engineer would run a rod ratio that suits the application
just like the rest of the engine. On the start of any design there is a goal
at the end. You don't run a rod raio of 2 if you hve heavy parts and low rpm
you can't spin the thing fast enough to take advantage of the lower peak
piston speeds by the same token you don't build a 1 liter with a ratio of
1.5 if you plan on spinning it to 14k It is all aplication intensive. Start
with a desired torgue curve to suit a particular purpose and then opimize
everything towards that goal. it is like what is the best carb for what
might be the first question a Dominator is useless on a lawn mower as a
Briggs and Stratton is on a V-12 ferrari 5 valve.. Kind of like best paint
for what? floors walls car boat bottom machinery? There is no 'Best' of
anything only for an application. Everybody read Internal Combustion Engine
Fundementals and then report back to class.. This stuff has been documented
since just opast the turn of the century and not 2000, 1900.. Everyone is
trying to reinvent what Taylor and others have known for over 80 years..
Dave