Re: Fast Lane

To: "Skip Higginbotham" <Saltrat@lubricationdynamics.com>,
Subject: Re: Fast Lane
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:19:39 -0700
Skip & all,

>>Lets created a special starting line lane for cars that the driver
needs an unlimited drivers lisc. and car have  run over 300:>>

I think this discussion is good, so don't take what I have to say in the
wrong light. It is just my opinion...

I have to disagree with singling out cars of any flavor for special
treatment.. It all sounds good on the surface, however, all entries pay the
same fees, whether they run 100 mph or 400 mph. They should get equal
treatment. I suspect that a 150 mph roadster is more affected by the wind
than a 300 mph streamliner and definitely more difficult to drive. One thing
that has always disturbed me about this sport is that the primary thing
looked at is speed. Rarely does a car with slower speeds get the credit for
their accomplishments. I understand why this is, but it somehow doesn't seem
fair.

Over the years, I have worked my way from the 130s to near 250 mph at
Bonneville. If I live long enough I may even reach 300 mph, but the only
preference I, or others that I am aware of, have received is that as
officials, occasionally we were allowed to go to the front of the line
because they are working to put on the meet and were not able to line up
with the others. That is how it ought to remain!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC