Re: Timing light wires

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: Re: Timing light wires
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:15:02 +0000
Well Neil, The Gilbert Police Dept. doesn't seem to have problems withtheir
alignment and scintillation......... They were able to ticket mewith a lasar
gun at 15 MPH over the limit on my Harley, in therain. However, I was actually
doing 5 MPH less than whatthe officer "clocked" me at sooooo. I'm for anything
that will add 5mph to my speed at Bonneville!
Ed

Jon;

The problems with using a laser for free- space communications are:

1. Alignment-- a laser has an extremely narrow beam which makes
alignment difficult. This can be overcome by using a beam expander lens
but the laser power requirement goes up.
2. Scintillation-- over a long path, the heat refraction of the air
makes the optical signal unsteady, just like a "twinkling star";
overcoming this takes big mirrors or diversity receivers.

Think $$$$$$$$

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ