For all the bike riders on this list...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: For all the bike riders on this list...
From: <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:51:11 -0500
I am thinking about getting a bike in the spring.. I need to get lessons
to both simplify getting a license and the last time I rode was in 1969
and managed to wreck a trail bike real well. Dislocated shoulder etc..
Actually a pretty funny story..  What little I knew then is long
forgotten and obviously not enough to keep me alive in the long term.
Not sure why I want to do this other than a nice diversion from work.
The bike itself I picture is somewhat classic in lines requires little
work to keep running and fast is not that import compared to easy to
ride stops well and has enough grunt to get out of a problem on the
road. It does not have to go 'potato-potato' or be a behemoth weight
wise and rather have nimble and fun for all the back roads and drives by
the ocean around here. Cruising range an hour or two with a mix of back
roads(paved) and interstate when needed.. Sport bikes are out of the
question I am not going to lay over the tank and pretend to race.. LOL I
work on fast things everyday and know what fast is.. If I got a
sportbike my back would not like it a bit and I will never be fast
enough to suit myself.. So here is the question what sort of bike to go
look at.. Looked at all the jap bike web sites and none have that sort
of classic look short of all things a honda rebel but suspect 250 cc to
get boring even for my limited requirements. It needs to 4 stroke though
could care less water cooled or air cooled. Some one a bit back locally
suggested a sportster and I gave him the couterpoint aroud here they are
refeered to as a 'skirtster' so not really interested in that. Budget is
of some concern and I don't really need to make a 'statement' do it
often at a lot of race tracks..LOL.. Fun easy and affordable are the
operative words.. Any suggestions welcome short of 'forget it'.. The
only other thing I need to ask is some have said the bigger bikes are
easier to ride but cannot fathom how. Most have a high CG and a big
difference between theit weight and mine to move it around so it does
what I want vs. what it wants. Seconary at some point when I am
accomplished it needs to be possible to ride two up and yes a touring
configuration the best..  Comfy straight back sit up and enjoy the
scenery..

Dave