Re: For all the bike riders on this list...

To: <ddahlgren@snet.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: For all the bike riders on this list...
From: "Tom Neimeyer" <Tneimeyer@houston.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:06:56 -0600
Dave,
  I'm not sure what you mean by "Classic".  I consider a old CB750 Honda to
be the "Classic Motorcycle" but you might not.  But, I kinda got the idea
you were looking for a Cruiser, yes, no, maybe?  Anyway, here are a few
ideas/thoughts about different bikes.

Touring / sport tourer / two up riding.
Honda ST1300
Yamaha FJR1300
These are two of the best in their class, both have good dependability and
reliability.  They look a little sporty but the bars actually come back and
you sit vertical.  Plenty of "grunt" for two up or to have some fun with.  A
lot of accessories, bars, bags things to make it more comfortable.  BMWs may
be better but you will pay for it.

Cruisers
The Harleys made these days are a world better than they were 20 years ago.
Harleys typically have a better resale value than any other cruiser.  I
think the Harleys have better chrome and detail than most Jap bikes (Honda
good also).  No, I'm not a Harley fan, just trying to be fair.  I am partial
to Hondas, the Shadow Spirit 1100 is what I would get from Honda if I wanted
a Cruiser.  Overall, I think the reliability of the Jap bikes is better than
Harleys, Victorys and the other Harley Clones using S&S/Harley motors.

Standards
These are the bikes that replaced the old CB750s.
Honda 919
Suzuki Bandit 1200
ZX1200 (not sure if still imported)

Others
Ducati Monster lineup, several different sizes and reasonable ergonomics
(look very sporty).

It will really pay to go down and sit on as many bikes as you can to see and
feel the differences.  It is easy to buy what looks good and then find it
don't fit.  Most magazines and articles will try to get the firts time
buyer/ long time idle buyer to buy a small bike to learn on/get experience
with.  After a year, sell it and get the bike that will fit your needs.  Not
bad advice, did that with my son and after 23,000 miles on a 250cc, got him
a 1000cc bike with some grunt.  This made it east to drive, ride and learn,
cheap to drop and repair, and he could not go too fast until he improved his
skills.  Also paid for him and my wife to take the MSF Safety Course.

Cheers, Tom