RE: For all the bike riders on this list...

To: <ddahlgren@snet.net>, "Land Speed Mail List"
Subject: RE: For all the bike riders on this list...
From: "John Staiger" <lsrvette@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:37:31 -0500
Dave,

I'm not going to try to answer your second question as I assume your will
get lots of help with this one (grin).  When it comes to getting lessons or
a license I have only one recommendation - MSF (Motorcycle Safety
Foundation).  They conduct classes in every state and I believe they still
run three courses - beginner (they supply a 125cc bike for you to drop),
Performance (same course, your bike to drop) and Advance where they make you
an instructor.  I have not taken the latter but I assume this gives you the
right to drop other people's bikes.

The MSF courses are excellent!  They are all about riding and how to handle
a bike.  No BS, just a real got to know it, got to do it course.

Years ago, my new wife decided she wanted to ride her own bike.  After
carefully analyzing the potential to sleep alone for a very long time, I
suggested that she take the MSF and not receive lessons from me.  She agreed
as long as I would go to.  I had been riding a bike for some 18 years and
thought I was pretty good and could catch up on my sleep. I took the
beginner course right along side her... right about now you have figured out
that I did not pass... it was a humbling experience.  However the people
that run MSF don't care about your experience -- only you're riding ability
and habits.  You pass or fail - no in-between.  Needless to say I had
developed a bad habit and they wanted me to know it...  Do to some very bad
dirt roads were I live, I was dropping my eyes going into a turn to check
for pot holes - instant fail.  In the real world, by dropping my eyes the
turning radius greatly increased -- very bad in traffic...

A year later I took the performance course and aced it... I will always be
grateful for the experience and lessons they taught me.

Check your local college as they often use their parking lots.  In Michigan,
a pass from the MSF waives the state road test requirement -- as it should,
they are much harder on you then the state ever was. Oh - and the class is
cheep!  I think it's $35 dollars.

John

--snip--
Subject: For all the bike riders on this list...

I am thinking about getting a bike in the spring.. I need to get lessons
to both simplify getting a license and the last time I rode was in 1969
and managed to wreck a trail bike real well. ...

--snip--