Re: timing

To: "Simon Green" <sgreen@eurobell.net>, "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timing
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:14:40 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
> I agree that the bonnet can be a high pressure area but I can not see that
> this could be 1.5 windscreen height?
> Where do you get this data as I am interested air flow over my MG.

I don't recall the specific source but I have read it in numerous tuning
books.  As I said, it can be up to that tall, I imagine the worst would be
in front of a vertical windscreen decreasing as the rake increases.

The best tip I have ever read for mapping airflow is to take a few dozen 3"
long peices of yarn and tape them at their midsections onto the body panel
in question, drive at the desired speed and have an assistant videotape the
car, later the tape can be reviewed and the direction of the individual
yarns will show airflow direction over the car at that point.  Enough peices
of yarn and you can map the airflow over the entire car.

> I have a  front spoiler that is based on the Abingdon Special Tuning one
and
> it has improved cooling and helps pull the front of the car down at speed.
> guess that by forcing more air in it then has to go some where?

Much of the benefit comes from blocking air from going under the car which
then creates negative pressure under the car thereby pulling air from the
engine bay, from around the sides, and sucking the car towards the ground

> The other thing I have been thinking about is putting an air filter at the
> front of the car and have a pipe to the carb. What do you thing?

That will be an iteration of my design somewhere down the road, the biggest
roadblock that I encountered is the lack of inlet housings for a 4bbl carb.
There is one for a grand national but they are very rare and sell for ~$60,
K&N offers them with many of thier fuel injection performance kits but these
kits are application specific and cost ~$200

My research indicates that the best way to acheive this setup is to lay my
own inlet up out of fiberglass and one day I will probably even get around
to it.

> Simon

James